Kaohsiung, the second largest city in Taiwan, is found in the southern region. It is a massive port city that is home to a lot of skyscrapers and the famous Fo Guang Shan Buddha Museum and Dragon and Tiger Pagoda.
If you have a 3 Day THSR Tourist Pass, you can arrive in Kaohsiung in about 90-minutes from Taipei. From Chiayi, we took the 30-minute train ride via THSR to Zuoying. Once we arrived, we left our luggage in one of the lockers. We only have half-a-day before we ride the train back to Taipei, so we decided to go to two attractions near the train station.
We decided to eat lunch inside the huge Zuoying Station. After lunch, we skipped riding the bus or trains and opted to use Über. What I loved about riding an Über was the fact that I just need to enter the address on the app and let it do its job. Even if I knew so little, as in very, very little Chinese, we were able to get around safely.
- Fo Guang Shan and Cheng Ching Lake
- Suzuka Circuit Park Ticket
- Shoushan Adventure Trail
- JZN Cooking Lab Taiwanese Pastry-Making Class + Han Bing Set for Two
Dragon and Tiger Pagoda
The iconic Dragon and Tiger Pagoda resides on the beautiful Lotus Lake. There’s a ritual that first-time visitors do to reverse their luck from bad to good. You can run into the dragon’s mouth and exit through the tiger’s. Among us, I was the only one who went up the towers to get a good view of the surrounding areas.
How to get there:
You can take an Über or take the KRT to R15 Ecological District and take Exit 2. Then take Bus 51 or 35 and alight at Lotus Lake.
Pier-2 Art Center
If you saw one of my previous posts, Instagrammable Creative Parks, Pier-2 Art Center is part of it. While in the area, explore every nook and cranny. There’s always a space that is worth taking a photo op.
There are exhibits that you can explore, so please do get a ticket to support the artists.
How to get there:
- Take an Uber and enter: No. 1, Dayong Road, Yancheng District, Kaohsiung City, Taiwan 803
- Take the MRT and alight at Yanchengpu Station (O2 station) exit 1. Walk bound for five minutes along Dayong Road and you will arrive there.
Things to Do:
Where to Go:
- Travel Taiwan: The Beginning
- Travel Taiwan: To The North, We Go! (Yehliu, Shifen, Jiufen)
- Hiking Elephant Mountain
- Instagrammable Creative Parks
- Travel Taiwan: A Full Day in Taichung
- Travel Taiwan: Meteor Garden Fever!